Saturday 11 August 2007

Manually initiated irrigation system.

Now a bygone, but still superficially in excellent condition, as you can see. A real rarity nowadays in the western world where we demand that our water appears from the tap (or faucet) on demand with no effort and no questions about how clean it is. I don't suppose it's all that many years since this was the norm though. Certainly I remember being facinated by the well at my grandparent's house when I was a little boy! They also collected rain water in a big barrel. This was within 30 miles of the centre of London. Also, I'm not that old, thank you.
I had to try the pump to see if it worked, but I'm sad to say that it didn't. They used to have wooden and leather washers and I suppose they had perished. All it did was let out a wheeze...

No comments: